VoIP adapters are beneficial for saving costs while converting to VoIP service. They are also useful for businesses that want to switch to VoIP, but have already invested in a desk phone system. Using a phone adapter on your current phone is also an affordable way to sample VoIP service if you are interested in learning more.
Types of VoIP Phone Adapters
There are three types of VoIP adapters and they are named after their port configurations:
- Single FXS
- Dual FXS
All VoIP phone adapters have an RJ-45 port for an Ethernet cable. Single FXS adapters are phone adapters that have one FXS port for the phone. Dual FXS adapters can connect the phone and a fax or two phones through the FXS ports. FXS/FXO adapters have one or two FXS ports and a third FXO port that connects to a traditional phone line. The availability of an FXO port will allow you the option to override the VoIP service with the traditional service if the Internet were to go out. You will need to look at a VoIP gateway if you need more than 1 or 2 phones converted.
Prices of VoIP Phone Adapters
VoIP phone adapters are priced depending on the number of ports and features available. Phone adapters with more ports and features will be more expensive than a simple VoIP phone adapters with a single FXS port. Prices start at around $20 and can go up to $100.
Call Features of VoIP Phone Adapters
These are some of the features you can still enjoy when using a VoIP adapter:
- caller ID with name
- call waiting
- call forwarding
- call transfer
- 3-way calling
- repeat dialing
- caller ID block
- call return
- area code selection
VoIP Phone Adapter Protocols
VoIP services transmit their data across the network with a protocol. VoIP phone adapters generally only support one protocol and you will need to confirm that your VoIP adapter supports this protocol. The common protocols are:
- SIP is the most widely used and supported protocol.
- SCCP is the proprietary protocol for all Cisco products.
- MGCP is an older VoIP protocol and is not used much anymore.
- H.323 is an older VoIP protocol and is not used much anymore.
Popular VoIP Phone Adapters Brands
While the various models of Cisco and Linksys VoIP phone adapters are quite popular, there are multiple other common brands of VoIP adapters. This list includes Cisco and Linksys VoIP phone adapters as well as some of the other brands:
- Grandstream-- HT286 Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter, 1 FXS, $24.99
- Cisco-- SPA112 Cisco Small Business VoIP Phone Adapter, 2 FXS, $39.99
- Obihai-- OB110 VoIP Phone Adapter, 1 FXS/1 FXO, $49.99
- Motorla- MOT-VT1000 Motorola Broadband VoIP Phone Adapter, 2 FXS, $49.99
- LinkSys-- SPA3102 Linksys VoIP Phone Adapter, 1 FXS/1 FXO, $69.99
- Zoom-- 5801 Zoom VoIP Phone Adapter, 1 FXS, 1 FXO, $77.99
- Mediatrix-- 4102- MGCP Mediatrix VoIP Phone Adapter,2 FXS, $79.99